SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 development preview 3 (not a release)

Beta release announcements with links to downloads.

SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 development preview 3 (not a release)

Postby Googie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm

It's been a while since last update. So... what I was working on?

On this screenshot you can see couple new icons have appeared:

I will tell more about those buttons later on. For now lets have a look at the "Form View" - there are new configuration buttons for each form:

Those buttons let you to define what editors (Text, Hex, Numeric, ...) are used for which data type. There are some predefined editors, but you can always customize them. Pressing the config button opens the main Configuration Dialog on the page, where you configure editors for types:

You can define your own data types and assign editors for them. Editors order can be changed by drag&drop (just move around the editors tab in the config dialog).
Editors are plugin-driven, so there will be editors/browsers with higlighting for XML, displaying PDF, etc. Such plugins are yet to be implemented.

While we're in the configuration dialog, have a look at other configuration pages:

Now, at the first screenshot there is a button with blue arrows pointing outside - it's en exporting feature. Here's the export dialog:

Here's how you export database:

and here's how you define final options for the export (notice the red exclamation icon at the top-left corner of the file entry - it's the new way of SQLiteStudio to tell you that some field has invalid value - when you move cursor over the icon it will tell you what's wrong):

If you export query results, here's how the dialog looks like:

Of course this is a regular SQL editor are in here, so you can use all it's features, like syntax validation, syntax completion, etc:

Now, as you learned, SQLiteStudio got the new form validation notification (the red exclamation icons). Old dialogs got enhanced with it. When you create new column in the table, you select few constraints and some of them require additional configuration, the dialog will tell you that:

Before fixing their configuration, lets have a look how it appears in "Advanced mode":

Okay, lets fix constraint configurations. I'll fix COLLATE here:

You see it even tells which field in COLLATE needs to be fixed. After I fixed all constraint configurations, it looks like this:

Now back to simple mode:

And what about table constraints? Have a look at table's FOREIGN KEY dialog:

Okay. Enough about dialogs and red icons ;) Lets get back to those new icons I spoke about at the begining. The "fx" icon is for Custom SQL Functions editor window:

You can see its implemented in QtScript. It's a JavaScript-like language built into Qt. The regexp() function implemented in this screenshot comes by default with SQLiteStudio. It implements the REGEXP operator for SQLite. You can modify it or even delete it if you want.
The new SQL Function editor also supports aggregate functions:

Another new feature is Collations editor window:

A very important thing that was missing in SQLiteStudio 2.x.x was tracking DDL's being executed on the database. Version 3 has that:

Oh, by the way, it already supports the "WITHOUT ROWID" tables from recent SQLite versions:

..and if you missed the "DDL dialog", or you need a aggregated changes on some database from entire last month - there's a DDL history window:

The most recent work I've done is drag&drop for objects in database tree on the left side:

Currently works only for views and tables, but I also plan to add support for columns in tables. When you drop the object on target database, it shows following options:

It's pretty much the same what was in version 2.1.x, but here it's way more readable to the human being :) (the D&D for entire databases was already there since the "Preview 1" - it lets you to change databases order, or organize them in groups/directories).

That's all for now. The application is getting closer and closer to the release, but I'm still not ready to tell the release date. I can tell, that in about 2 months I will tell the release date ;) But don't worry, it's not that far from now.
Googie
Site Admin

Re: SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 development preview 3 (not a release)

Postby Laert » Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 am

Hi, Can I join the group of pre-users of new version?
Laert

Postby Googie » Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm

There's no such group. This version has not yet been released to anyone. There will be public beta tests (before the final release) announced here on forum and on facebook, but it's still about 2 months away.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby bpierson » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:00 pm

This looks fantastic. Really great work. With the new form views you are designing, you can almost build an app right inside the studio.
bpierson

Postby bpierson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Meant to put this in the "preview 4" thread... don't know how it got here.
bpierson

Postby fransis1981 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi, any news about the public beta?
fransis1981

Postby Googie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:47 am

About a week away now. I hope :)
I'm spending on it as much time as I can and this varies.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby GJRTimmer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Hope that it will see daylight soon :-)
GJRTimmer

Postby Googie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:11 pm

I am just compiling release binaries at this very moment ;) This will be a beta version. Will let you know when it's ready.
Googie
Site Admin

Return to Beta releases