SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 - the newborn

Can't fit to any of above? Send here.

SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 - the newborn

Postby Googie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm

SQLiteStudio is dropping Tcl/Tk in favor of C++/Qt. For more details about why Tcl is no longer good for SQLiteStudio see this.
Now, a little information about the current status of SQLiteStudio:
  • It's going to be written entirely in C++ with use of Qt (in version 5).
  • New version will be labeled as version 3.0.0.
  • It will still be GPL-licensed.
  • It will have most of features known from 2.1 implemented.
  • It will use the same SQL syntax file for parsing as Sqlite2 and Sqlite3 do. It will also use the same parser code generator - the Lemon.
  • It will come with GUI interface (default), but also with console one.
  • Since it's written from scratch, I have a chance to redesign and enhance many things. New version is going to be faster and more stable than versions 1.x.x and 2.x.x could have ever been.
  • Release date: when it's ready ;)
  • Project already started, but at the moment is far from reaching stable release. I'm unable to estimate the release date right now, but I can tell that work is in very advanced stage and I'm putting all my efforts to get it done ASAP.
  • Any thoughts or questions? Feel free to write them down below.
  • No screenshots are available as for now. I started with the core engine and GUI will be done somewhere near the final stage - then I will post some screenshots.

In the meanwhile I will be releasing quick bugfix versions for 2.1.x version, but not very often, because I prefer to focus on new 3.0.0 version.
Googie
Site Admin

Re: SQLiteStudio 3.0.0 - the newborn

Postby Artur » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 am

Now due to my stupid mouse killed my browser window ... writing it again

Sounds good. If that helps that your work on the program and our work with the program get better it sounds like a good solution. I also read your other topic about why you want to drop it and seems reasonable to me.

I can only hope that the conversion bug for databases for sqlite2 to sqlite3 and vice versa will be fixed before v3 comes out.
Let's go the easy way and choose SQLite!
Artur

Postby Anymind » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:47 am

What about translations? Will you be able to convert old msg files into the ones new SQLiteStudio will use?
Anyway, as a russian translation maintainer I'll offer any help I could provide.
Anymind

Postby Artur » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm sure the Googie will think of a way to do it.
Artur

Postby Googie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes, I will try to maintain as much of translation messages as I can. I think it shouldn't be too hard to import existing translations.

Artur, I missed that one, although it is easy to fix. Sorry for that. I will definitely fix it for next quick bugfix (should be released sooner than later).
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Silvio Grosso » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Googie,

IMHO, your intention to switch to the QT toolkit is quite simply wonderful :D

AS a GIS user I am looking forward to trying out the "upcoming" version (7th) of Grass.
This software is about to switch from the Tcl/Tk graphical user interface (6.3 version and older) to the newest wxpython GUI (actually, this process has required many years of development....).
For sure, no one is going to miss its old Tcl/Tk toolkit (on the whole it was pretty ugly as GUI...).

I suppose that using QT 5 (and newer 5.1, 5.2) will allow you to easily cover Android as well, which would be magnificent (using SqliteStudio 3 on a Android tablet would be super cool!).

My only big concern regards the time (years?...) this process will require in order to get a *stable* release :(
This being said, I am 100% confident you made the right bold move!

P.s: regarding this newest version of SqliteStudio I DO hope it will continue to be fully portable on Windows (with NO need to have any privilege as administrator to install it on your computer).

Best of luck for this new project and THANKS a lot indeed for your work on SqliteStudio!

Silvio Grosso
Silvio Grosso

Postby Googie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Silvio,

Yes, it will continue to be fully portable. I know this is big advantage of SQLiteStudio and I'm gonna keep it.
Android port will be possible, indeed, although it will require different gui, more Touch interface oriented. Good thing I redesigned new SQLiteStudio, so writing new GUI's should be quite easy ;)

I'm not sure how long will it take to release stable version. It's true it requires enormous amount of work. That's why I'm spending all time I have on it ;) I hope that having it written in C++ will encourage some developers to contribute at later stages.

About the Tcl/Tk - I must disagree. It's not ugly. It's just that python and perl developers usually use pure Tk, without Ttk (aka Tile), which is a themed Tk. SQLiteStudio uses Ttk and while it's not the prettiest application in the world, I still think it looks good enough.

Qt is prettier than Tk, that's true, but I chose it because it's rich and mature toolkit for any desktop application.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby kellemes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

Personally I don't care about the looks at all.. I'm a sucker for speed and responsiveness.
To be honest I'm a bit worried about the switch to qt since qt-apps tend to be somewhat less responsive on my system for some reason, eventhough there are a couple of qt-aps I use because they're they offer the features I need. VLC mediaplayer, digiKam, K3b .. to name a few. But even these great apps tend to respond slow.

Still I can't wait to test it out..
kellemes

Postby Googie » Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm

VLC is pretty heavy app, K3b as well. I don't know about digiKam, I haven't used it. What CPU do you have and how much RAM? I'm asking just by curiosity.
What do you mean when you say you have to wait for some response - how long would that be? A milliseconds, or seconds?

I do care to make SQLiteStudio as fast as possible. Actually when I decided to drop Tcl/Tk I faced a choice between Java or C++ and I picked C++ because apps in C++ are way "lighter", they respond faster. This is also true with Qt - at least on my PC.
Otherwise I would go with Java, because it's a little easier to code in Java, but apps in Java eat so much RAM and I always have this feeling when using Java apps, that they are simply slow.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Artur » Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh hey, an update just made for me? Makes me proud ;)

How is it going with the conversion of SQLiteStudio?
Artur

Next

Return to Chat