3.0.0 Beta 1 released!

Beta release announcements with links to downloads.

3.0.0 Beta 1 released!

Postby Googie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 am

The first beta of version 3.0.0 is now released. As this is a beta, there are no files on the usual download page. You can find all download links below.

By the way of releasing 3.0.0, the new wiki page is being created: http://wiki.sqlitestudio.pl
Currently it's filled in about 30% and will be filled in continously in time.

Reporting bugs from 3.0.0 is enabled (just to remind you, it was disabled in 2.1.x series and remains disabled for that old version). Please be aware that this is a beta - it may crash sometimes. Please report it if you encounter it.

The automatic updates do work, so any next beta release there will be you should be able to install it using automatic updates.

Okay, so first I tell you the download links, then you can read about "What's new when compared to 2.1.x".

Download links:

Windows 32 and 64 bit:
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 2.99.1.zip - download, unpack, go to SQLiteStudio directory and execute SQLiteStudio.exe.

Linux 32 bit:
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 9.1.tar.xz - download, unpack, go to SQLiteStudio directory and execute sqlitestudio.

Linux 64 bit:
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 9.1.tar.xz - download, unpack, go to SQLiteStudio directory and execute sqlitestudio.

MacOS X:
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 2.99.1.dmg - download, mount, copy the SQLiteStudio application from mounted disk into Applications and it's ready to run

Source code packages:
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 9.1.tar.gz
http://sqlitestudio.pl/files/sqlitestud ... 2.99.1.zip

You can also download sourcecode from SVN repository. This is described in details on the wiki page, that I mentioned at the top of this post.

So, what's new in 3.0.0? Well, the main focus on 3.0.0 was to rewrite everything in C++/Qt, while maintaining the most of the good stuff from 2.1.x series. The overall interface didn't change. It's the same layout, the same method of managing workspace, etc. Everything as you know it, except looks much, much better, behaves much smoother.

What is not the same? Here are some of new things - there are many more, but I just don't remember all of them at this moment (there will be a complete list when final 3.0.0 is released):
  • The performence. Application is more responsive, deals with executing queries in background, deals with huge datasets way better than 2.1.x.
  • DDL preview dialog and DDL history window - from now on you can track what changes are done to the database, before they are done by dialog windows. Even if you ignore such preview dialogs, you will always be able to see all DDL changes in the DDL history window!
  • Entering data into forms/dialogs is now validated on the fly - as soon as you type invalid input, you will see a red icon indicating the problem and you can hold mouse over it to see details of the problem.
  • Databases can now be grouped in a kind of "directories". They are virtual directories, so you can organize your databases on the list.
  • SQL syntax assistance is way faster and smarter. It has no problem with proposing proper tokens even when being in 5-depth subselect.
  • SQL syntax errors are marked with a red, wavy underline, instead of a red background, like it used to be.
  • Custom collations editor.
  • Converting database between SQLite3 and SQLite2 will show you what changes are about to be made on the new database, so it's correct for the new version.
  • Copying or moving objects (tables, views) between databases can be done by copy/paste or by drag&drop - even between different SQLite versions. The automatic conversion to the proper version will be made on the transferred object.
  • Editor tabs in the Form View can now configured for each datatype individually.
  • SQL functions, populating engines and collation sequences can now be written in Tcl, SQL (as it was in 2.1.x), but also in QtScript. More scripting languages support is a subject to come.
  • CLI - a command line interface. There is a "sqlitestudiocli" application next to the main application. Is uses the same engine for all of its operations, but it's not dependent on the GUI. This is especially important (but not limited to) for Linux servers. It is similar to the official sqlite3.exe application served by SQLite developers, but in fact it's quite different. For example it has a SQL syntax assistant (under Tab key) and some other fancy features. It's far from being complete, but it's usable already.
  • There's a printing support - you can print data sets and SQL queries.
  • The MacOS X port is not so broken anymore. The 2.1.x series was crashing under MacOS X all the time. It's not the case anymore. Version 3.0.0 feels as good running under MacOS X, as it is under Linux or Windows.

What is missing, but was in 2.1.x?
  • Support for executing queries with parameter placeholders (?, :param, @param) - this is in TODO, one of the first things to do
  • exporting/importing with DBF format - also in TODO for near future
  • entire application as a single file executable - this could not be accomplished, because I wanted a strong support for external plugins and also static linking with Qt makes the deployment much more complicated (not impossible, but still...)

Have fun using new version and please report any problem. Either on the bug tracker, or here on forum.
Googie
Site Admin

Re: 3.0.0 Beta 1 released!

Postby Silvio Grosso » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Hello,
First off, THANKS a lot indeed for releasing this first beta :D
It is extremely appreciated !

I have just downloaded it on Windows 7 (home edition - 64 bit) but it doesn't start.
In short, whenever I click on the SqliteStudio launcher a window always pops up (it is in Italian...):
The error message is: impossible to find the 58 dynamic link (zlib1.dll).

Needless to say, I was too curious to test it and I didn't give up.
To do so, I have installed SqliteStudio on Kubuntu 14.10 - 64 bit (Kde Desktop).
I run Kubuntu 14.10 through a VirtualBox machine (the host is my Windows 7 system).
On Linux (KDE - 64 bit), everything works as expected so far:
I have created a new table, run some sql query, imported into my table a csv file etc

To recap, you have my deepest gratitude for your work on SqliteStudio.
Please, keep it up ;)
Silvio Grosso

Postby Googie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 pm

I knew something like this would happen, as this is the first time I did packaging of it.
I have fixed the package for Windows and reuploaded it (under the same url). Thanks for reporting it!
Googie
Site Admin

Postby stuart141simon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:25 am

am using Beta 3 on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). I agree that a lot has been fixed. I have a small problem, however, and it is in the screenshot below:
Basically, I am trying to write something like the replicate() function from sqlite_extensions.c, but with a separator. The function comes with two arguments, a string to be repeated and a number of times to repeat it, with a vertical line as a separator. The problem is that the function call is not reading the variables under the names I have entered for them. I happen to know that Tcl expects "repeat{string number}" (as opposed to "repeat(string,number)") in the function definition, so I think that might have something to do with it. Can you please help me with this? Thank you!
stuart141simon

Postby Googie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 am

I see.

There is a slight misunderstanding about named arguments. If you type in the argument list, it does not mean that you will get variables named like them in the code. It is just how the function will be displayed to the user when he uses code assistant in SQL editor - he will see that the function takes 2 arguments - string and number.

Now, in the code of the function you should use $argc and $argv, just like you would use when the Tcl code was executed from a script file.

By the way, this would be a good idea to allow user to wrote code like you just did. I will put it in TODO. In the meanwhile, please use $argv.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Silvio Grosso » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello Googie,

I have installed the newest updated version for Windows on 3 different computers:
- Windows 7 - 64 bit;
- Windows 7 - 32 bit;
- Windows xp professional - 32 bit.

Now it works great. No crash so far ;)
Thanks a lot indeed for your work !
Silvio Grosso

Postby kpeters58 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Very nice - impressive work. This looks like it should obliterate the competing applications!
kpeters58

Postby ChaosDrop » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi, I'm getting the error message:
[15:50:35] Could not commit table structure. Error message: AUTOINCREMENT is only allowed on an INTEGER PRIMARY KEY

But I've looked through all 4 of my columns even remade the table three times from scratch only the Primary key is an INTEGER and only it has AUTOINCREMENT enabled.

Edit:
System info:
Windows 7 x64 (up-to-date)
Can make the exact same table in the old version just fine.

Table is simple:

ID - INTERGER - PRIMARY - AUTOINCREMENT
TYPE - TEXT
INFO - TEXT
NOTES - TEXT
ChaosDrop

Postby Googie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 am

When you get this error go to DDL tab, copy the entire DDL and paste it here.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Heart1010 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks for that beta!!!!!

Don't know if I do something wrong but I have a wrong select in my view...
Code: Select all
([09:20:54] Could not load data for view ProfiCash_Kunden. Error details: Error while executing SQL query: no such column: pa.kunden_id)

I change that pa.kunden_id to pa.kunden_nr and click the green arrow icon.

Then click on "close anyway".

Then I end in a "gray window". Double Click on that ProfiCash_Kunden view gives the error
Code: Select all
[09:25:13] Could not process the ProfiCash_Kunden view correctly. Unable to open a view window.

Heart1010

Next

Return to Beta releases