2.1.0 - Beta 1

Beta release announcements with links to downloads.

2.1.0 - Beta 1

Postby Googie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi there!

I'm releasing first beta of 2.1.0 version, aka 2.0.901. Only files for linux and windows are available. Sorry MacOSX users, no beta version for you yet. Here's an explanation.

Here are links to binaries:
Windows 32bit/64bit
Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit

Bug reports can be made as usual - via bug tracker on bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl or by bug reporting dialog built into the application, or here, if anybody prefers so. Any questions and suggestions are also welcome here.

Major notable changes are:
  • Data importing (plug-in based) from CSV, DBF and others. List of formats is to be extended in future.
  • Significant speed up when working with huge databases, huge tables and huge cell values
  • Recent SQLite3 support with all it's features
  • Portable binary can use portable configuration directory
  • Drag&Drop databases from other applications (like a file manager) into SQLiteStudio
  • New export plugins, including PDF files!
  • Copying and moving tables/indexes/triggers/view from one database to another, from one table to another - just by Drag&Drop! Simple and handy.
  • Bug report dialog can now use user account from bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl (if you have one)
  • Tooltips for data grids - you can always hold mouse over the data cell to see what's it's column, what constraints, what RowID, etc. Similar tooltips are available for databases/tables list - hold mouse over them and see what they tell you.
...and many many more.

Here's full listing from the ChangeLog:
[2.1.0]
* [ADDED]: Support for NULL values in form view, blob edit dialog and query parameters dialog.
* [ADDED]: Importing engine based on plugins. Currently SQLiteStudio can import from CSV, Clipboard (same as CSV, but from clipboard), DBF (dBase) and from any text files using Regular Expression (RegExp plugin).
* [ADDED]: Full Foreign Keys altering support - when modifying table, foreign keys will follow table changes.
* [ADDED]: Support for system tables in table window -> they can be viewed but cannot be modified (SQLite itself prevents that).
* [ADDED]: Completion hints can suggest columns from Views now.
* [ADDED]: Option in configuration to define what to do when user opens a view - show edition dialog or data from view (http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=386).
* [ADDED]: Button for adding custom number of rows to table data grid at once.
* [ADDED]: If application is started first time, it asks for language to use before showing main window.
* [ADDED]: Support for "BEGIN", "COMMIT" and "ROLLBACK" statements to be executed from SQL editor.
* [ADDED]: Smart "home" key in SQL editor, which goes either to begining of line or to begining of actual text in the line.
* [ADDED]: 'Return' key opens selected element from databases tree.
* [ADDED]: Context menu option to edit selected cell using BLOB editor, even the cell data size is small.
* [ADDED]: Databases tree filter, so user can easly find any database (in long list) or any table/index/trigger/view in any open database by entering any piece of its name.
* [ADDED]: Form view of data has now resizable fields (but only for TEXT, BLOB and similar datatypes), so you can see more data at once instead of scrolling a lot.
* [ADDED]: Grid row (table data grid or query results grid) can select whole row at once by clicking on ROWNUM column or by Control-click on any cell. (http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=208)
* [ADDED]: An entry in "View" menu to restore last closed window (and one before that and so on), also a configurable keyboard shortcut and entry in taskbar context menu to do the same.
* [ADDED]: Database list tooltips for databases, so you can quickly view what's the path to database file, what's its size, etc.
* [ADDED]: Tooltips for tables and views to get quick informations about the object.
* [ADDED]: Tooltips for taskbar to display full button title (even long one), database associated with the window and table (in case of table window).
* [ADDED]: SQL editor - matching parenthesis pairs highlighting when insertion cursor positioned at the one from the pair.
* [ADDED]: Context menu entry to reset AUTOINCREMENT sequence for selected table.
* [ADDED]: Option to make indexes linked to (under) tables in databases tree. This is enabled by default and can be disabled in configuration dialog.
* [ADDED]: Option to show columns linked to (under) tables in databases tree.
* [ADDED]: Portable mode for configuration. If there's a "sqlitestudio-cfg" directory next to the SQLiteStudio binary, then it is used to read and store configuration.
* [ADDED]: Option to display ROWIDs in table data as default (after each table window is open).
* [ADDED]: Defining order of databases in the list by Drag&Drop of databases.
* [ADDED]: Drag&Drop of databases and objects between databases. Now you can copy/move tables (also indexes, triggers and views) between databases simply by D&D. It's possible even between SQLite3 and SQLite2 databases!
* [ADDED]: When modifying a table, all views that reference the table are adjusted to the new form of table (new name, column changes, etc), just like indexes and triggers were adjusted so far.
* [ADDED]: Help hint about parameters to SQL function in Custom SQL Functions dialog.
* [ADDED]: Support for multiple value sets in INSERT statements (introduced in SQLite 3.7.11).
* [ADDED]: When editing the table cell, all the contents of that cell are selected by default. This can be disabled in configuration dialog.
* [ADDED]: Context menu command to generate SELECT statement for selected cells (in both data grid and results grid).
* [ADDED]: Now it's possible to export data from view, just like from a table.
* [ADDED]: Positional parameters (@, ?, $, :, ...) are now remebered and recalled when used again in same or similar query (with same parameters).
* [ADDED]: Positional parameters dialog has button to copy the value to other parameters in the dialog that are named exactly the same. The button is displayed only if there are more than one parameter with a certain name.
* [ADDED]: Context menu for table to erase all data from table (after confirmation).
* [ADDED]: Bug report dialog can now use an account from http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl to report bugs.
* [ADDED]: Two new data populating plugins: SQL and Tcl.
* [ADDED]: New exporting plugins: DBF (dBase), PDF, JSON, Clipboard, XLS (MS Excel).
* [ADDED]: The "ON CONFLICT" algorithm exposed to user when using Populating Dialog. Now any duplicates, can be ignored (http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=576).
* [CHANGE]: Table window opening speed up. Loading related triggers and indexes postponed to moment of displaying proper tab.
* [CHANGE]: Displaying and editing huge data volumes (both in table window and SQL editor) is now supported much better and faster.
* [CHANGE]: Memory usage for exporting minimized. Now it's possible to export any amount of data at once.
* [CHANGE]: Enabled exporting for cross-database queries.
* [CHANGE]: Interrupting query execution now actually works! You can cancel query at any moment.
* [CHANGE]: Dropped "PRAGMA full_column_names" usage, as it is deprecated SQLite3 interface.
* [CHANGE]: Editing query results now supports editing results from cross-database queries! The only condition is that columns are selected directly, without expression modifiers, such as math operations, etc.
* [CHANGE]: Introduced support for custom number of table constraints (not column constraints), so for example two or more primary keys defined as separated table constraints is now possible from table dialog. (http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=200)
* [CHANGE]: Trigger DDL support enhanced. Now it supports "UPDATE OF <columns>" statements.
* [CHANGE]: Supported languages are now displayed in human readable form, by names, not by strange locale symbols.
* [CHANGE]: Session management improoved. It's easier to write session-aware classes now.
* [CHANGE]: Using thread pools instead of individual threads wherever it's possible. This made SQL editor windows to open a little quicker and to work more smoothly.
* [CHANGE]: SQL Editor completion hints display "busy" animated icon if parsing some huge SQL takes a little longer.
* [CHANGE]: Platform detecting code unified.
* [CHANGE]: Parser and lexer classes enclosed in UniversalParser and UniversalLexer, preventing many potential memory leaks.
* [CHANGE]: Switched from BEGIN to SAVEPOINT in most cases (only in SQLite3, in SQLite2 BEGIN usage remains).
* [CHANGE]: Table grid view menu context reorganized to be more readable.
* [CHANGE]: Changed icons for "Export table" and "Export database" to fit general schema of icons.
* [CHANGE]: Enhanced layout of context hints for tables (table data and results data).
* [CHANGE]: Auto-update checks directory permissions, so it allows automatic update only if privileges are sufficient.
* [CHANGE]: Session saving now stores the full image of what objects were expanded or collapsed, so it gets fully restored.
* [CHANGE]: Added shadows for hints under Windows.
* [CHANGE]: Simplified bug reporting dialog.
* [REMOVED]: Solaris binaries. Nobody seems to use them. Users still can run SQLiteStudio from sources with some Tcl distribution.
* [BUGFIX]: Again improved performance for huge table data and huge query results.
* [BUGFIX]: Column context information in table window fixed to display constraints correctly.
* [BUGFIX]: Fixed virtual table exporting (http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=201).
* [BUGFIX]: Fixed http://bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl/?id=1199
Googie
Site Admin

Re: 2.1.0 - Beta 1

Postby Artur » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Wow, that's quite a changelog. Login in with my bugs.sqlitestudio.one.pl account doesn't seemed to work but suddenly, as I wanted to mentioned it, worked. Nice way to use the application and still can receive notifications about bug updates.

Googie wrote:Portable binary can use portable configuration directory

Do I need to manually copy the settings file next to the executable?
Let's go the easy way and choose SQLite!
Artur

Postby Googie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 pm

I have a feeling I also had some temporary problems with bugs reporting when I was testing this, but they went away and I couldn't reproduce it. We will see how it goes for others.

Do I need to manually copy the settings file next to the executable?

Yes, also the copied directory has to be named "sqlitestudio-cfg". If you have better idea how to implement it I'm open for suggestions ;)
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Artur » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

The question is: Is a whole directory needed? Are other files stored in that directory as well or just one single file? If only the config database, then couldn't you just put it next to the executable? (I don't know if that is practical for every OS, but for Windows it would I guess.)
Artur

Postby Googie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:44 pm

The minimum is just a configuration file, but you can also put additional plugins in there too, as well as language files.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Artur » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I noticed a kind of strange behavior with adding content to a table.

In the Grid view I can add a new line and write content into the columns. When I then click on the Form view tab I see nothing (an empty tab) or the content of the line (in the grid view) which is above the one i try to add. I think that isn't intended.
Artur

Postby Googie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Just confirmed.
This is the case when you haven't committed the new row yet. It works correctly after you commit that row in grid view before switching to form view.
It is a bug, of course. Will fix it in beta2.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby Googie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Okay, fixed for beta 2.
Googie
Site Admin

Postby robert96757 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Can't open config window on column modifications

- Rob
robert96757